Depending on where you are in the world, Spring is in the air, or you are experiencing the fall cool down. Either way, it’s time to get moving outdoors. While we encourage you to protect your skin from the sun, it is highly beneficial to spend time outdoors.
Truth be told, working out in a gym doesn’t necessarily sound exciting, especially for those that may sit at a desk all day. If you can incorporate the benefits of being outside with moving your body, make it happen. Fresh air and sunshine are good for the body, mind, and soul!
Here are some great outdoor activities that will both energize you and assist in de-stressing.
- Yoga and stretching. Find a nice spot in the grass, a shady tree, or a sandy beach to practice some mindful breathing, yoga, and stretching.
- Bike Ride. If you don’t have one, undoubtedly there are parks or hotels nearby that rent them. Take a leisurely tour of a part of town or nearby park, and stop for a picnic lunch.
- Play in the Dirt. Gardening and tending to your flowers, and vegetables or caring for your landscaping is something many feels is ‘therapeutic’ for a reason. We are a part of nature, not separate from it. Getting your hands and knees in the dirt and helping things grow may be just what you need.
- A brisk walk or hike. Nothing is more natural for the body than a brisk walk or a challenging hike. Chances are there a walking or hiking trails in your town, city or just outside to explore! Get to it!
- Body Weight exercises. Whether you find yourself in a park or on your city streets, find a bench or wall for push-ups or wall sits.
- Swimming. Do you have a lake, river, or even an outdoor pool? A perfect weekend activity to re-energize. Swimming is low impact and perfect for those with joint challenges.
Challenge yourself to get outdoors more, you will thank us, promise.
Let us know what you plan to do this week or weekend or comment on your favorite outdoor activity to inspire us.