By: Danielle Patterson, TLS Product Manager
With Fall comes the delicious snacks and treats that line the grocery store aisles. We all know that Fall is the season for baking which typically means 3 things: carbs, sugar and butter. All things that we don’t need when trying to slim down. Nothing is better than a recipe that makes you feel like you’re indulging but is actually a healthier alternative. We’ve created an amazing apple crisp recipe with healthy alternative ingredients so you can enjoy the fall treats while also keeping your diet on track. Happy Fall!
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or regular flour or gluten free oat flour or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Raw Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 TSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegan butter or a healthy butter alternative (cut into very small cubes)
For the crisp:
- 5-6 medium Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the topping: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a large bowl until combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake the crisp on a baking sheet for 50 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite almond milk or coconut milk based vanilla ice cream.
Let us know what you think and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram in your healthy recipe creations!