By: Theresa Greenwell
Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. This means that picnics are coming and so is the need for an alternative to unhealthy side dishes! Eggs are a great source of protein and are inexpensive to incorporate into any picnic, although the eggs you’ll find there are less than healthy. Deviled eggs contain a variety of ingredients that can either make them or break them as a healthy side dish but we’ve found that the less complicated the recipe, the better the flavor. Next time the chance comes, try this recipe for tasty deviled eggs:
Serves: Makes 4-6 servings (2-3 halves)
Prep Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 6 large eggs (hard-boiled and shells removed)
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 – 2 teaspoons yellow mustard or brown mustard (or mixed 50:50)
- Paprika as needed for garnish
- Slice eggs lengthwise, removing the yolks.
- Place yolks into mixing bowl and egg whites onto platter for later use (hollow side up).
- With a fork, mash egg yolks into fine crumbs.
- Mix mayonnaise and Greek yogurt in with egg yolks until evenly distributed.
- Add mustard and mix.
- Make sure to taste the mixture before adding a second teaspoon or more of mustard as too much can overwhelm all other flavors; mixture should have a pleasant combination of flavors.
- Use spoon or pastry bag to fill egg whites with the mayo, egg yolk and mustard mixture.
- Lightly sprinkle paprika over the filled egg whites for flavor and garnish.
Serve these deviled eggs as a side dish, along with a salad or other vegetables. It is also perfect beside a main dish of chicken, beef or pork!
Did you try and love this recipe??
Tell us in the comments below!