By: Kayla Adams
St. Patrick’s Day is the excuse we all need to get decked out in green from head to toe in celebration of all things Irish. Let’s have some fun with a couple of festive recipes to get you in the holiday spirit! Don’t worry, you won’t have to sacrifice your weight management progress with these simple, but delicious snacks. Enjoy these clover recipes.
- Assorted green vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces (broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green peppers)
- Green peppers (for making shamrocks)
- Hummus or reduced fat vegetable dip
- Thread assorted green veggies onto wooden skewers, leaving enough room at the top to finish each with a shamrock-shaped pepper.
- To make the shamrock peppers for the top of each skewer, you have two options:
- (1) Cut your green peppers into large planks and use a sharp (preferably metal) shamrock-shaped cookie cutter (1¾” is recommended)to cut shamrocks out of the green peppers.
- (2) Use small green peppers and cut them with a sharp knife horizontally into “rings.” The shape of the pepper rings should look a bit like a shamrock. If you’d like, as you thread these on your skewers, you can add thin slices of green pepper underneath them as “stems.”
- Thread one shamrock pepper onto the top of each vegetable skewer to finish.
- Serve with hummus or reduced-fat vegetable dip.
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of chopped chives
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- Your bread or cracker of choice (or, try using big-leafed lettuce as a substitute)
- Add all pesto ingredients except for the olive oil to a food processor. Blend on high and slowly drizzle the olive oil in. Once all the oil is in, stop the machine and scrape down the sides. Blend further until the mixture is smooth and consistent.
- Serve immediately (or chill for 30 minutes) on fresh crackers, bread, or lettuce.
There you have it! Test your luck with these festive recipes that are sure to wow the whole family. Enjoy, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!