The study discovered that “there is no benefit to decreasing sitting by two minutes each hour, and adding a corresponding two minutes more of low intensity activities. However, a “trade-off” of sitting for light intensity activities for two minutes each hour was associated with a 33 percent lower risk of dying”.2
We all know that sitting for hours on end is bad for our bodies, but it also increases our risk for developing chronic conditions like diabetes and heart disease.2 Crucially, it can also increase your risk of dying at a younger age.2
Whether you’re at the gym daily or prefer long walks around your home, it’s important to note that merely walking for two extra minutes each hour can increase the length of your life. Here are some easy tips for incorporating that extra two minutes into your daily life.
2 minute Tips:
· Don’t park right next to your office building or the grocery store. Park as far away as possible
· Take the stairs instead of the elevator
· Set reminders on your phone to keep you on track
· Walk to the water cooler and take the long route back to your desk
· Use your cellphone instead of your landline at home, and talk to your friends while walking
· Instead of using the nearest bathroom in your home or workplace, choose the furthest bathroom
Let’s Walk for Life!