By Kerri Whatley and the TLS Team
If you are looking for a high protein gluten free snack, try a lemon yogurt protein cake. It tastes delicious and would be great for a post work out snack!
What you’ll need:
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup honey (You can sub this out for 2/3tsps of Stevia)
2 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
2.5 cups natural almond meal (ground whole almonds)
1/2 cup natural or vanilla protein powder
500g fat free Greek yogurt
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 340°F (300°C if using a fan forced oven).
2. Oil a 9 inch (2.75 inches deep) square cake pan and line with baking paper.
3. Combine egg yolks, honey, vanilla, baking powder, almond meal, protein powder, and yogurt** in a large bowl.
4. Mix in lemon zest and juice.
5. Beat egg whites separately until soft peaks then fold into the lemon cake mixture. This will lighten the cake and help it rise.
6. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 40 mins. Remove cake and cover with foil to prevent over-browning. Return to oven for a further 20 mins or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool before turning out. Serve and enjoy. Will keep covered in the fridge for 1 week.
**Note: Use good quality thick natural yogurt. Optional: strain the yoghurt through a cheese cloth overnight in the fridge to remove any excess liquid.
Tips & Bonus Information
Nutrition info per serve (1/16th of the cake): Calories 165, Total fat 9.2g, Total carb 14.5g, Sugars 11.8 (with Honey), Protein 8.4g Serving suggestions: -Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a few berries. -Can also be made into muffins, but reduce cooking time
Yield: Serves 16
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you!
Do you have any snacks you would like to share?