By: Tayler Glenn
For some women, a wedding can be a motivator for finally starting on those healthy habits as they begin the next chapter of their lives. For others, the added pressure of weight loss is just another stressor. Whether or not you want to lose weight for your wedding, your decision is totally yours and absolutely valid. But, if you’re searching for ways to lose weight, we have a few tips for the bride-to-be to be sure you’re maintaining wellness, inside & out.
TLS® Tips for the Bride to Be
Stay Away from Extremes
There are so many reasons to do this:
- Weddings are already stressful. Start piling on dangerous diet pills, laxatives, or low-calorie restrictions, & fad diets and you’re looking at a recipe for a total meltdown.
- Diet pills & laxatives are dangerous! They affect your heart & digestive system, and many of those magic diet pills you see on TV are using ingredients that aren’t regulated.
- Fad diets only set you up for failure. Low-calorie & fad diets can lead to everything from overeating to an unhealthy relationship with food & your body that can last a lifetime. Remember, you are never ever to blame for not being able to stick to an unrealistic, restrictive diet.
Long story short, extremes are extremes for a reason: they’re unsustainable. Even if your goal has more to do with appearance than overall wellness, please always keep your health at the very top of your list. No size or wedding dress is worth more than that!
Focus on Wellness Habits
Beginning a new chapter of your life is exciting & it makes sense that you’d want to feel your absolute best on your very first day of it. We already talked about what not to focus on, so now let’s talk about what to focus on: wellness!
Instead of creating goals that are solely based on size or number on the scale, think about how you want to feel. Do you want more energy? How about a better headspace to manage all of the stress & head into your married life calm & level-headed? These are goals that can absolutely help lead to weight loss & help make this a sustainable journey that will help you stay on track for the long-term, mentally & physically. Try:
- Aiming for 8 hours of sleep per night
- Cutting out caffeine
- Swapping sugary drinks for water (or at least aiming for 8-10 glasses per day!)
- Cooking at home
- Setting aside 30 minutes per day for self-care
- Beginning a journal, whether it be for food or mental wellbeing or a combination of both
Focus on Adding & Swapping, Not Taking Away
One of the worst mistakes you can make is to take, take, take away from your lifestyle. So many blogs & will tell you to do things like give up sugar, get rid of the carbs, or cut-out your evening TV time. How long is that likely to last before you’re right back where you started?
Instead of taking away, give back to yourself! Try one of the following:
- Swap your breakfast of a coffeehouse Mocha for a Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake.
Not only does this give you your bump of caffeine, it also ensures you’re starting your day with protein & fiber to keep you going!
- Swap Instagram for a walk with an Audiobook or Podcast
We’re all guilty of letting our time disappear into the black hole of the internet, but that time could be spent doing something far better! Get off the couch and get outside to soak up some sunshine on a short walk or, if you’re somewhere it’s not quite warm yet, head to the gym to walk the track or the treadmill! Bonus: treadmills usually have a TV closeby so you can pass the time that way as well.
- Set a Gym Date with your Partner
Yes, you could “Netflix & Chill”…again. But, why not switch things up once or twice a week? Spend some quality time with your partner-to-be playing basketball or finally heading to that class at the gym you’ve been dying to try! It’s such a great way to connect & work together as a team in a way that makes both of you feel great.
- Skip the Restaurant for an At-Home Culinary Adventure
Chances are, your wedding isn’t cheap! Not only will cooking at home save you some much-needed money, but it’s another great wellness habit & another great way to spend time with your partner. Find a new & exciting cuisine, recreate a dish you’d normally order out, or experiment with a healthified version of your favorite dessert! The options are unlimited and you’ll have so much more control over what ingredients & portion sizes.
Keeping yourself fulfilled & happy is far better than forcing yourself into restriction & deprivation. You want to feel good as a bride-to-be, so don’t settle for anything less than what makes you feel amazing, mentally & physically.
Remember What Really Matters
Your dress is one of the most magical parts of your big day, but do you know what’s more important? How you feel on your wedding day & creating lifelong memories with the loved ones that will surround you in celebration.
Is it great to meet your goals? Absolutely! But, at the end of the day, this experience is meant to be about so much more than appearance. No matter what you did or did not accomplish, whether you lost weight or gained it, you are no less worthy of having the most magical day of your life & enjoying every last second of it. Nothing about your size or appearance determines your worth.