We all know that we NEED to work out, but who has the time to go to the gym regularly? Yeah yeah, if we really wanted to work out, we would MAKE time to do so, but what if we don’t want to pay for a gym membership or equipment for the house? Well, let me tell you, there are certainly things you can do at home without any equipment.
Taking time to work out at home
If you have the time to dedicate about 30 minutes to an hour a day to working out at home, there are multiple exercises that will help you burn calories! Also, blasting your favorite music or watching TV while doing these will help exercising become more enjoyable for you. Here are some common ideas:
- Walking—the weather is very nice this time of year. Grab a friend or your partner and take a walk around the neighborhood or park and enjoy the scenery J
- Pushups—while they are hard to do for some people, you can always do them on your knees or do them against the wall to work on arm strength
- Jumping Jacks—not only do they remind you of your childhood, but they are also a great cardio exercise
- Crunches—crunches are good for working on those abdominal muscles. If you can’t get your head all the way up, no worries, try lifting your head and legs at the same time until they come together
- Stair stepping—if you have stairs, tread up and down them a few times
- Squats—these are great for the legs and glutes. If you want to take it a step further, lift up one leg and rest it on a chair or couch and continue to do squats, that will focus more on one leg at a time
Courtesy of webmd.com
Exercise as you do household activities
Now for those of us who don’t have time to set aside specified time for working out, work out as you do housework! Yes, it’s very possible and will help the housework fly by as you are working on your body.
- This first one is for the ladies, sorry fellas. As you are drying your hair, stand with your toes and knees pointed outward (like a ballet stance) then squat straight down and squeeze your thighs and buttocks as you come back up
- As you do any cleaning, again play some music and dance around as you clean—I think that is about as fun as cleaning can get
- Work your calves as you do the dishes. As you put dishes away, rise up on your toes and hold for a few seconds. Do this with as many dishes as your calves can take, eventually you can do it until you put up all the dishes
- Work on your arms/triceps as you with your shampoo bottle in the shower. Raise hands with shampoo in grip and lower it behind your head until your elbows are pointing toward the ceiling. This can do done with canned good as well while putting up groceries.
I cannot think of many who are fans of doing housework, but by multi-tasking and/or making it fun, you will enjoy it much more!
How do you exercise around the house without workout machines?